Tuesday, September 4, 2012

PCOS Tuesday!

September is PCOS awareness month so we (the Moo dog and Teddy) are letting the Mom person take over Toy Box Tuesday with PCOS Tuesday the whole month to spread the word about PCOS!

The Mom person here to talk about PCOS and how it has affected me in my life.  For those of you who came across this site because you typed in PCOS, I would just like to say no I'm not crazy...I know that my pugs can't type or speak.  Mollie and Teddy's blog is something I do for fun to connect with other pug owners.  Now back to talking/typing about PCOS.  Now if there are any guys reading this....you may want to stop cause I'm about to talk about PERIODS or the lack of them.  

I first started to feel like there was something wrong with me when I was 18 and getting ready to leave for college.  I remember telling my mother that I hadn't had a period in about 4 or 5 months.  Of course she FREAKED...started crying about how I was pregnant and she was to young to be a grandmother blah blah blah.  I stopped her with "Only if I'm carrying the next baby Jesus".  Since I was scheduled to get some shots I needed for college, we decided to just ask the doctor then (bare in mind this was not my regular doctor)....I was told not to worry, that was normal in girls my age....give it time and my body would start to sort itself out.   

I had a period on July 4th of that year and then not again until January of the next year when I finely broke down and went to see a my regular family doctor after my college roommates told me that not having a period for half a year wasn't normal...that the "doctor" had lied to me and I needed help right away.   

I remember being scared and embarrassed....this was the first time since I was potty trained that someone was going to be seeing me down there!  I made my mother come with me to hold my hand...I remember I had tears in my eyes the whole time.  The doctor explained that no it was not normal and that something was very very wrong with me.   She started talking about diabetes, thyroid disorders and then she said the words PCOS.  So simple just a little blood work and I was diagnosed.  

I was handed a bottle of pills told to take them for 10 days every other month and I would have periods again.  That was it, no other information was given.   

I had no idea that missed periods was a symptom and not the cause.  And I was unprepared for the other issues that I would soon begin to notice happening to my body. 

Please join me next Tuesday, September 11 where I will talk about some of the issues I personally have had with PCOS and its symptoms.  

       


No comments:

Post a Comment